Sedation Dentistry in Katy, TX
We understand that many Americans have dental anxiety. Sedation dentistry is a wonderful way to provide a safe and pleasant experience at the dentist.
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry allows your pediatric dentist to provide a variety of dental treatments safely and comfortably for children who experience anxiety when visiting the dentist.
Contrary to popular belief, during most sedation procedures your child stays awake even though sleepiness is a side effect of some medications.
What are the advantages of sedation dentistry:
- Provide a pleasant experience for you and your child
- Relieve anxiety
- Few side effects
- More can be accomplished at one visit
- Highly effective
What sedation options are there for my child?
- Nitrous oxide — Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is the lightest form of sedation dentistry and is often used for children with mild anxiety. It is provided through a nasal hood and is administered throughout the entire procedure. Nitrous oxide provides a sense of well-being and most importantly, relieves anxiety.
- Oral sedatives — Used for patients with moderate dental anxiety or for patients who need longer or more complex procedures, conscious sedation often refers to the use of oral sedatives. With conscious sedation, your child will remain awake throughout the procedure, but will be in a deeper state of relaxation than with just with nitrous oxide.
- IV sedation — At our office, very young patients, special needs patients or any age patients who are highly anxious, can receive IV sedation with our anesthesiologist. Patients often have no recollection of the treatment and generally all needs will be addressed in one visit.
We are more than happy to discuss the options available for your child. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.